.....On the federal level, in May, Governor LePage testified before the U.S. House Energy and Commerce’s Subcommittee on Energy and Power in support of a bill to speed the permitting process and lower energy costs across our nation. The draft legislation aims to improve the permitting of interstate natural gas pipelines, along with a draft bill to reduce the regulatory burdens on hydropower production. Congress continues to consider this legislation, with the House Energy and Commerce Committee passing a version of the natural gas legislation prior to the August recess.
This speeding up of the permitting process is something that the Wind Lobbyists also called for, though the DEP felt that all to often they have had insufficient time to fully evaluate situations such as those the people of Maine ask for in their complaints. Being pressured by Maine statute to complete assessments within a time frame, not doing so results in a default which does not allow the DEP to establish any newly needed rules or guidelines.
If anything, the permitting process needs to be slowed down, by 4 fold thus allowing a more complete analysis both on the cost and the destructive forces that may come as an unintended (or intended) consequence.
LePage and others have a false agenda at hand, in the promotion of both Gas importation and Hydro. Both of which are to be allowed into Maine under the guise of benefiting Maine and its sustainability.
Maine already exports about 57% of all electrical energy it produces. So why do we need more from Hydro Quebec ?
84% of Maine's Gas usage goes to generating (near exclusively) Electricity for export, with the remaining 16% utilized for residential and Industry (non Electric) uses. Why more if the percentage ratio remains the same? With the State promoting energy savings with Heat exchangers (tax supported) Wind generation (mostly Grid for export) increased Biomass (CO² intensive) Solar PV (inefficient use of Solar) the question remains, is this for "Maine's Needs" or LePage's and Corporate needs, in support of jobs elsewhere by workers from elsewhere ? With Maine again being on the dirty end of the stick, being robbed of our resources. The paper mills are leaving not due to energy costs, they can burn their forests if needed under BioMass production of power. The fact is they have depleted the land of that resource to the point they can not do both. They are moving westward to destroy yet another forestland and this migration was once done before is search for the tall trees once needed for the shipbuilding days. The cycle now repeats for paper. Something that Computers created a greater need for, instead of reducing. Something not well thought out. This energy influx into Maine, just to pass through Maine leaving its messes behind, is also not well thought out, other than those that seek to profit or bask in the glory of their destructive accomplishments.